We acknowledging that the Land on which we live, work, and upon which our school is built is Land that carries knowledge and wisdom. Deep knowledge has been stored in this Land by the People who have cared for it and lived in relationship with it since time began: the Dakota, the Lakota, the Nakoda, the Plains Cree, the Anishinaabe, and later on, the Métis People. We seek to honour these Nations by creating meaningful relationships between our school community and the members of these Nations. As active participants in Treaty 4, which was signed not far from our school in the fall of 1874, we recognize our responsibility to these Nations to protect the Land beneath our feet and to learn its lessons. Today, and every day that we step foot upon Mother Earth, Prairie Sky School affirms that we are committed:
- to learning the knowledge of this Land;
- to pursuing right relationships with the traditional caretaker-nations of this Land;
- and to upholding and honouring their wisdom and culture.
Prairie Sky School Vision
We educate children holistically through Art, Community, and Nature.
Our Purpose ~ To deliver the Saskatchewan Curriculum through:
Art … where our curriculum is integrated with visual and performing arts offering mindfulness, expression, and creativity in a natural, beautiful, and purposeful environment.
Community … by nurturing an ethic of support and care:
- As individuals, we are open, empathetic, and socially responsible.
- We foster inclusive, holistic relationships that start with individuals then blossom out into the larger community and world.
Nature … through an indigenous lens we care for:
- The Natural World: We foster our interconnection to the natural world; land, place, people.
- Human Nature: We celebrate the balance of Head, Heart, and Hands (critical thinking/academics, social/emotional learning, experiential learning/real-life skills) and support the freedom to be who we are.
- The Nature of Learning: We honour our students’ intrinsic desire to learn and thrive in a safe and holistic environment with effective leadership.